On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 1:14 AM, Bryan Housel <br...@7thposition.com> wrote:
> I don’t really buy the “mapping sidewalks as part of the road makes routing
> easier" argument, but I don’t work on routing software so maybe there really
> is something complicated about routing that I am unaware of.

The problem with separate ways, is that none of the current routers
will tell you that you have to cross the street to reach a house on
the other side of the road. Most likely, they will let you walk till
the next street crossing and let you walk back then. There are some
proposals to solve this problem, but no implementation so far AFAIK.

Try cycle routing on osm.org in an area with a lot of separate
cycleways (e.g. The Netherlands) and you'll see what I mean.

regards