Nobody will be using the raw data to fly a plane. It doesn't matter if we use
the ele tag for the top or the bottom - as long as the height is given, the
other value can easily be derived. What is important is consistency, both in
its definition and it's usage. Defining it as sometimes the top and sometimes
the bottom of a feature doesn't help.
We will also need to standardize on a datum for elevations. The wiki refers to
both mean sea level (which varies by country) and wgs84. The differences might
be enough to take the wheels off your plane..