sent from a phone

> Am 08.01.2016 um 17:18 schrieb Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com>:
>
> I don't think it makes sense to add datum tags and have heights in other
> datums.  That just pushes the work onto the data consumer and adds
> confusion.

the advantage for the mapper is that it is quite easy, you simply read an
elevation off a sign and add the reference height system to the value. (yes,
you have to know what is this reference height system, that's why the "quite"
is there). I'd also prefer to have uniform values in the same system, but if
the alternative to having a value in a local system is not having any value at
all, I'd prefer the values in other datums (and marked as such).

FWIW, for most usages of these ele values it doesn't really matter if a value
is 20 meters more or less, they are used to get a rough idea, not to be used in
calculations where a meter more or less is important, i.e. this discussion is
mostly theoretical...

cheers,
Martin