On 2016년 02월 02일 00:03, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> On 1 February 2016 at 22:17, Max <abonneme...@revolwear.com> wrote:
>> Those are clearly museums, not galleries and they are correctly tagged
>> as museums. Sorry to say this, but that sentence clearly shows OP has
>> not understand what a gellery is. The wiki pages for tourism=gallery,
>> and shop=art do explain nicely what the difference is between those.
>
> Thanks for your useful comments.
Sorry if it sounded harsh.

> I'm not sure if I fully understand your explanation. How would you
> categorize the following examples:
>
> * http://www.mudam.lu/en/le-musee/la-collection/currently-at-mudam/
That's clearly a museum. On the page you see that the Museum has a
collection. The museum aquires works from artists for their collection.
Galleries don't do that. If museums do sell from their collection (this
happens one in a while) it is a major scandal.
You can also define it by their business model. They ask for donations.
Another indicator that it's a museum, galleries would not do this
either, because they live off the (usually 50%) fee of their sales.

> * http://www.whitewallgalleries.com/
That is a gallery. At least that's their self understanding. It is
selling crap IMHO, but let's not get into that. It seems quite
commercial, shop=art seems fair for this one as well.

> *
> https://www.bcee.lu/en/Discover-BCEE/Discover-BCEE/The-'Am-Tunnel'-art-gallery
I would tag this as museum, not gallery. The word gallery is sometimes
used in a museum as a synonym for exhibition hall. In this case it is a
showroom for the aquisitions of a bank. It is not the intent of the
exhibition to resell these works. That said, showing the work usually
makes the work more valuable, so it is in the interest of the owner to
display the works (or lend them, sometimes permanently, to a museum).

> I'm not sure if I ever saw an art shop of the type you described. Do
> you have any example of these, perhaps a URL?

the picture in the wiki for shop=art is a good example.