Thanks Martin...

You mention that zoning <> landuse because one is administrative and the
other is factual. My point is they use the same terminology, so studying
one gives us a framework for the other. Of course there are frequent
examples of factual use being in conflict with the zoning plan. This can
happen for many reasons. Sometimes this is simply documented and
tolerated by planning authorities, (the exemption might only last until
the property is sold) and sometimes the authorities take action to stop
the illegal landuse. The foundation underlying all of this is the system
of classification of the different uses, which is interpreted by the
authorities to be able to judge whether the factual use is inside or
outside the allowed uses for that location.

I don't think anyone is expecting low-level, detailed categories to get
into OSM. We are not going to reproduce the planning authorities' GIS.
We are aiming at the high-level values such as "industrial", but the
low-level classifications in the ontology of the planning authorities
will help us to assess what we see happening at a location, and map it
to one of the high-level classifications.

As you mention, mixed use can be particularly troublesome. On a large
farm (so agricultural usage) there are "islands" with a differing
factual usage, such as the house where the farmer lives (residential
usage) and the workshop where he mends his combine harvester (industrial
usage). We should have a consistent policy as to whether these "islands"
take their factual usage, or are considered part of the larger-scale
object without their own landuse object in OSM. This is also a challenge
in zoning policies, where there often explicit combinations which are
allowed, such as a bit of residential on a farm, and a bit of
residential in a retail area, all under strict conditions such as it
being linked to the farm or shop and not exceeding X% of the land area.

Of course all authorities do it their own way, and there is no global
standard we can follow (unless the UN have got a model for this?). What
we can learn however is what makes a good standard in terms of breadth
of coverage and in terms of depth of detail. With that in our minds, we
are free to define our own standard.

Now I am going to read your entire post in detail including the German
information you linked to...

//colin