On 12/02/2016, Hakuch <hak...@posteo.de> wrote:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Remove_suffixed_name-tags_from_wiki
>
> It was approved with 38 votes for, 10 votes against and 1 abstention.
>
> Approved due to >74% approval (79.167%). Wikipages has been changed
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key%3Aname&type=revision&diff=1271795&oldid=1267803
> Key:name
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template%3AMap_Features%3Aname&type=revision&diff=1271784&oldid=1204516
> Template
>
> thanks for participation

Sorry for the late reply, I was quite busy and it took me a while to
bring a constructive reaction, after letting go of my initial
annoyance.

There was not enough consensus to justify accepting and enacting the
proposal. Looking just at the vote counts but ignoring the discussions
around it makes little sense.

The opinions were varied, but there was clear support in keeping the
name_N documentation, both for the basic principle of documenting
current practices, and because some contributors believe it is a
better way of tagging multiple-value fields. If anything, name_1 needs
to be kept because it is sometimes technically needed, even if it
isn't the prefered option. On top of that, this isn't an "either-or"
case where if we choose one scheme we need to deprecate the others.

I've reverted the deletion, which makes as little sense as deleting
the Semicolon page would. To make things a bit more constructive, I've
also created a page documenting MV tagging in general (trying to
gather all the points mentioned during last month's threads, sticking
to current practices, not advocating for one scheme over another) and
made other tweaks to the name pages. Feel free to discuss here or on
the wiki.

As an aside, using a wiki proposal just to decide what should go in
the wiki, rather than what should go in the db, is a strange thing. By
the time you reduced the scope of your proposal from deprecating
name_N to merely un-documenting it, when it became clear (?) that
name_N had an important role to play, the proposal was IMHO dead on
arrival. I nearly didn't bother casting my vote against it.