Dear OSM staff, contributors, and users:

I have read the definitions, concepts and description that OSM uses to
characterize (tag) roads and noticed that OSM does not establish the difference
between inter-urban (rural) roads and urban roads (comprising mostly avenues
and streets). Therefore, I propose to replace the existing OSM road
classification with a "functional classification" that would allow OSM "to
better model and better visualize" the actual road network. I have noticed that
you have been challenged to adapt to the differences found in each country. If
the following classification is adopted, it will be a "universal standard" and
you will not need to adopt different criteria for developed or developing
countries, like the OSM example for East Africa.

It would be useful to define a road class (paved/unpaved) and a road surface
type (concrete, asphalt, surface treatment, gravel, earth). I also propose to
reduce the options for road condition to only five categories defined by the
need for maintenance or rehabilitation. I can provide a technical definition
using the International Roughness Index (IRI) for paved and unpaved roads.

I am fully aware that these changes present a major challenge for the existing,
coding, renderer, editors, etc. However, I am confident that introducing these
changes (and adding the number of lanes) will not only simplify the mapping
tasks, but would substantially improve the quality of the OMS products,
particularly given the fact that many other layers are highly dependent on the
quality of the road network.

I am a Civil Engineer (MS Stanford) with training on urban planning (MIT) with
more than 20 years of experience working with international organizations like
the World Bank and the African Development Bank on roads and highways in more
than 50 countries, but mostly in Sub-Saharan Africa, South America, South Asia,
East Asia and the Pacific, and Eastern Europe.

Alberto Nogales

202-257-8726

A. FUNCTIONAL ROAD CLASSIFICATION for "Motor Vehicles":

Rural (Inter-Urban) Roads - Located outside of urban areas

Classified Road Network. Generally falls under the responsibility of the
National, Provincial (State), Municipal/Local Government to build, operate and
maintain.

1. Primary Roads - National, Main, Trunk Roads outside of urban areas that
connect the main population and economic centers of the country. Typically
under the responsibility of the National Government and with high levels of
traffic.

2. Secondary Roads - Regional, State, Provincial Roads are the main feeder
routes into, and provide the main links between primary roads. Typically under
the responsibility of the Provincial Government and with medium levels of
traffic.

3. Tertiary Roads - Municipal, Local, Rural Roads that connect the smaller
towns to intermediate cities. Typically under the responsibility of the Local
Governments and with low levels of traffic.

Unclassified Road Network.

4. Unclassified Roads. Mostly private roads or of unknown responsibility to
build and operate. Typically maintained by local communities or by private
mining, forestry, or agricultural enterprises.

Urban Network- Located within the boundaries of urban areas

1/2/3. Highway. [Expressway, Motorways] Parts of the Primary, Secondary or
Tertiary Roads that go across an urban area. Parts of the National, Provincial
Network. Expressways with limited access. Typically no pedestrian or bicycle
access.

5. Arterial. [Route, Boulevard] Connecting key areas of urban activity with
higher traffic levels and longest trip lengths. High speeds with minimum
interference to through movements, like those used by bus routes.

6. Collector. [Avenue] Provides land access and traffic circulation within
urban areas. Penetrates neighborhoods, collecting and distributing traffic
between neighborhoods and arterial network. Medium traffic levels with moderate
trip lengths. Medium speeds with frequent interference to through movements.

7. Local. [Street] Road used to provide access to adjacent land and to the
collector network and to higher order of streets. Lower traffic level with
through traffic deliberately discouraged. Low speed.

8. Path. [Lane, Passage] Narrow mostly single lane in between buildings or
behind a row of houses without sidewalks. Single direction and lowest level of
traffic and lowest speed.

Add Classification for "Non-Motor Vehicles" that will not use the term road nor
highways, like bicycle lane, pedestrian paths, etc.

Total Road Network = Primary + Secondary + Tertiary + Unclassified + Urban

B. ROAD SURFACE CLASS (Paved/Unpaved) & ROAD SURFACE TYPE

1. Paved

1.1 Concrete

1.2 Asphalt

1.3 Surface Treatment

2. Unpaved

2.1 Gravel

2.2 Earth

C. ROAD CONDITION

1. Very Good. Roads do not require any capital costs. Recently completed and/or
very good quality and high standard.

2. Good. Roads largely free of defects and require only minor maintenance work.

3. Fair. Road with defects that require periodic maintenance like resurfacing
or regravelling, or grading.

4. Poor. Roads require partial rehabilitation, strengthening or partial
reconstruction.

5. Very Poor.  Road requires full rehabilitation or full reconstruction.

D. NUMBER OF LANES AND/OR ROAD WIDTH. The functional classification can be
further improved by providing the number of lanes and traffic flow direction,
and the width of the main carriageway. it is also useful to indicate if the
road is physically divided or not by a median or other. As for the urban roads
indicate if the roads have sidewalks or not.

1. 1 LANE

2. 2 LANES

3. 3 LANES

4. 4 LANES