Michael Tsang <mikl...@gmail.com> writes:

> I agree on the point that mode:learner_driver=* is better, but, however,
> isn't
> it common sense that learners are not allowed on motorways? Can you give me
> some regions where learners are, by default, allowed on motorways?

I don't think it's common sense.  The point is to get experience
driving with someone who knows in the other seat giving you advice.
People need to get used to being on motorways/interstates also.

Plus, IMHO driving on motorways (Interstates) is less scary than on
other roads, both rural undivided highways and in cities.  I find this
to be the case when driving in the US and also in the UK.  (I'm not
saying that a UK rule that learners are not allowed on motorways is
unreasonable, just that it doesn't follow from first principles and
isn't obvious from having driven there.)

An example of a region is where drivers with a learner's permit are
allowed on Interstates is Massachusetts:

  http://www.massrmv.com/LicenseandID/ClassDPermitandLicense.aspx

  Limitations with a Class D Permit

  If you are under 18 years of age, you may not drive between the hours of
  12:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. unless accompanied by a parent/guardian who is
  duly licensed in his or her home state and has one (1) year of driving
  experience. The parent/guardian must occupy the seat next to you. You
  may not operate a vehicle outside Massachusetts if that state's laws
  prevent you from legally doing so.

I suspect most other states are similar.    Another high-regulation
state is New York, and they don't ban motorways:

 https://dmv.ny.gov/learner-permit-restrictions

but they do ban for learners specific scary parkways (trunk, not
motorway, due to narrow, twisty, and not really having slip roads --
which is why they are scary) and specific bridges.  There is no
prohibition on learner drivers on Interstates.  But there are extra
rules for learners in NYC, including daytime only and dual brake
controls.

Basically, I thinnk the issue is that in the US, Interstates are viewed
as normal, rather than special, and in the UK motorways are viewed as
more special.