On 8/2/2016 6:03 PM, François Lacombe wrote:

[Sent from a phone]

Hi all,

To begin with positive side of things, big thank you Meg to propose a consistent and scalable scheme out of this mess. I completely agree with the current lack of consistency and would like to encourage the search of better description and network approach

What about situations when pavement areas are drawn with areas + multi polygon involving buildings around a whole block ?
Should the ways you propose come over this ?

There are also steps ... and steps drawn as areas ... some as trapezoids .. some as rectangles with a different number of steps from one side to the other.

And pavement areas under buildings, train and road ways ... inside tunnels, on covered bridges .. lots of variations.

Some roads have a fence on the dividing strip between opposing traffic specifically to stop pedestrians from crossing the roadway.

Philp,
Pavement deduction from roads is a pain and often footway=* tags won't suit the mappers needs according of what seen in situation. What about a road where pavement are regularly separated with several square meters of grass ? Even if people can cross the roads wherever they want, routing engines should only encourage them to do so on protected crossings. This is just because they will always be able to cross there even in case of traffic jam and the time given for a foot trip have to take care of it.

All the best !

François

    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/

    here: www.openside

    (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seattle,_Washington/Sidew
    > alk_Import).
    >
    > We appreciate any feedback you may have either through our
    discussion
    > pages or by email.

    The first problem I see is that mapping sidewalks as a separate way
    should not be done unless there is a physical separation. For a
    pedestrian the sidewalk is a part of the road.

    Mapping as separate ways can mess up routing for pedestrians who can
    cross the road wherever they wish.

    Mapping in the way you propose would leave the problem of where a
    mapper would then place sufficient 'imaginary' crossings to not break
    pedestrian routing

    Phil (trigpoint)