On 27/09/2016 18:37, Aun Johnsen wrote:

The use of highway=road would not be an issue if people used it to mark off an area where they are going to do survey or gather more information. It becomes an issue when people use it to map an entire town, and check it off as completed.

I'd suggest talking to the users concerned - the easiest way is via a changeset discussion comment. If they're unsure what road category to use, you can point at other nearby examples in the imagery and say "I'd map that as residential" or similar.

During my cleanup rush I have seen examples of this where the roads haven’t been further edited for 10 months. The result is that the town continues to remain unmapped for data consumers, i.e., my downloaded Garmin maps will still not route to the town, but looking at Mapnik hows it has been mapped.

Well your Garmin maps are under your control; you can choose to treat highway=road as routable if you want to! I do.

iD, JOSM, and other editors should warn about this situation,

JOSM warns about _everything_ already. You've had the conversation with iD's maintainer and have yet to persuade.

and validating tools such as KeepRight and Maproulette should highlight it as incomplete, so that they doesn’t remain as highway=road for extended time.

Plenty do already, surely?

Best Regards,
Andy