I render the things that OSM shows as cliffs, because sometimes surprises
lurk between the contour lines. Otherwise, when I care, on my own maps I
render elevation contours (and hence have no use for the cliff height in
the data base). In a spot like
https://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test3.html?la=42.1876&lo=-74.0397&z=14,
it's pretty obvious that there are cliffs about.

I do like the idea of having some sort of object for cuts and fills,
because they're important features that often aren't in the elevation
databases. Highway and rail embankments would kind of come along for the
ride.