On 2016-12-08 09:36, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> On 2016-12-08 03:09, André Pirard wrote:
>> On 2016-12-07 22:53, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> Apparently there are roads that have an 'ongoing' U-turn
>>> restriction, see the sign here for
>>> example: http://openstreetcam.org/details/10053/304
>>>
>>> I know how to tag this for an intersection but not how to do it for
>>> an entire way where U-turns are prohibited.
>> The concept of a node where one cannot U-turn and where one could
>> U-turn 1 meter before it is a strange one.
>> In Belgium, signal C33
>> <http://www.code-de-la-route.be/textes-legaux/sections/ar/code-de-la-route/251-art68>
>> indicates that one cannot U-turn from the position of the signal up
>> to and including the next crossing.  It's obviously always in force
>> over a span of the highway, it indicates a one-way section and the
>> simplest way to indicate that is oneway=yes.
>
> This is interesting and closely related to the question how we tag, on
> two-way roads, continuous middle lines (or double continuous middle
> lines) that imply continuous stretches of road with "no-u-turn", no
> passing/overtaking, and "no-left-turn" (in countries with right-hand
> traffic).
> In addition there seems to be countries (I am not sure) where u-turns
> are generally forbidden on certain classes of roads.
> Why do we not use u_turn=no on highways, similar to the overtaking
> tag? I am also wondering why "overtaking" in reality is not frequently
> use either, worldwide only 40,000 tags.

I have taken permission to reintroduce the quote showing what's interesting.
And thank you for recalling a subject I once raised.
Those Belgian white lines preventing U-turn (without oneway) are
jurisdiction-dependent indeed as well said further.
I had abandoned the discussion, taking it as the usual "no" the answers
that it's not so everywhere.
But as said further too, what we map is not the color or form of the
lines but their meaning.

And what I mostly mentioned before, is that those Belgian lines not only
forbid U-turn,
but also turning left (in right-hand drive) when coming from a side road.
I find this important because it makes a lot of missing, difficult to
map turn relations unnecessary.
But I suppose it would have, because of jurisdiction-dependency, mapped
differently than U-turn.

Interesting discussion.

Cheers

André.