Hi all,

The Telenav mapping team noticed quite a few destination:street tags on
(mostly) motorway_link off-ramps in Canada. This is an undocumented sub-tag of
the destination tag so I am curious how it is being used and if there is some
sort of consensus that is documented somewhere else than the OSM wiki.

An Overpass query surfaced 1883 cases, http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/ln2

Looking at a random one, http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/34154734
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/34154734> /
http://openstreetcam.org/details/10767/4194
<http://openstreetcam.org/details/10767/4194> — I think in the US we would just
map this as destination=Carman Road;Iriquois and destination:ref=1

So my question is whether this is some relic of a past practice, or is this
actively used and encouraged mapping practice and if so, where should it be
documented?
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Destination_details
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Destination_details>
seems to be a good candidate.)

We’re happy to help improve these tags based on OSC / Mapillary data but I
wanted to make sure first that this is the way you all want to go.

Happy mapping,

Martijn van Exel