Note that cities sometimes also include vacant lots that have not yet been built on, particularly around the outer edges. When I was a child, there was a vacant lot between our house and the next one, because the original landowner had chosen to buy two lots and build on just one of them. They continued to be sold as a pair through a couple more sales, before the vacant lot was eventually sold separately, and built upon.