this object is what I am interested in tagging:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/488358755#map=19/36.22843/139.30731
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/488358755#map=19/36.22843/139.30731>

Along the hundreds of KM of levees surrounding the large river near my house,
each stream, drain, canal, storm drain, etc has a culvert through the levee,
controlled by a manual or electrically controlled “gate” valve. similar
structures are seen all over Japan, so there are conservatively thousands of
these gate valves mappable from imagery just here in Japan.

some are very small (50cmx50cm for a drain) and some are very large (1x3m for a
stream), but all share some common traits:

- control water from a small waterway going into a larger waterway, often
through a culvert under a levee.

- easily mappable from arial imagery.

- Valve structure is on the inside edge of the levee, not on the sides of the
embankment nor the top.

- the control structure for the gate valve sticks up out of the the ground to
the height of the adjacent levee.

- some are human operated, some have electric motors, but there is always
mechanical mechanism on top for opening and closing the gate valve.

some also have related items:

- a second valve on the outside of the levee for safety redundancy or flow
control for pumps.

- a footbridge out from the top of the levee to the top of the valve control
mechanism

- a building on top of the gate structure to cover the valves (not a
pump-house)

- a small reservoir to hold water if the gate is closed. (easily tagged)

- the valve structure on the inside of the levee is protected by concrete
erosion protection along the sides of the levee and the bottom of the
floodplain. (man-made erosion protection has no tag)

Rarely:

- a pumphouse adjacent for forcing water into the river.
(man_made=pumping_station)

- a landuse that is fenced and surrounds the valve if there are buildings and a
reservoir. usually these have no surrounding land - they just sit out in the
open with no protection or additional structures.

waterway=flow_control has 200 overall uses
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/waterway=flow_control
<https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/waterway=flow_control> ( my first time
to see it).

and waterway=valve has 10 uses

I would like suggestions for:

is waterway=flow_control a good node value to use for these valves on a
waterway? It seems okay to me.

for valve structures that are very large (some are the size of a large truck)
and easily mappable as a structure, what to use for that? I used building=yes +
man_made=valve for the building.

I put a waterway=flow_control node where the culvert exits through the gate
valve.

a landuse for some water control complexes - landuse=industrial?
man_made=umping_station on the area rather than the building?
man_made=water-works seems really wrong.

here is a pumphouse site I tagged with the valve above.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.22858/139.30654
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.22858/139.30654>

https://www.pref.saitama.lg.jp/a0906/gijutukanri/documents/h26.pdf
<https://www.pref.saitama.lg.jp/a0906/gijutukanri/documents/h26.pdf> (pictures
on the 5th page).

- it has 2 gates valves, one on either side of the levee.
- a reservoir
- a building for the pumphouse.
- a fenced area around the site.

Please give me some advice on the gates.

Javbw.