On 7/14/2017 8:14 AM, Marc Gemis wrote:
but merge sidewalk with the road where the is no space/barier between them.

and that's were the discussion starts. When I asked when one has to
draw a separate sidewalk a few weeks ago on this mailing list someone
answered: as soon as there is a kerb.

Similarly, I have been combining sidewalks with roads where there is no separation. But when there is a small grass separation from the roadway, they are drawn separately. For those cases, it is usually allowed to cross the grassy separation and the road to get to the opposite sidewalk.

Throwing out the R word here - what about a relation that defines which disconnected ways could be walked to or across from any point on a current way? That would also include the road since there would be no barrier.