On Thursday 27 July 2017, Tobias Zwick wrote:

> Together with Roland Krüger, I am in the process of letting users of
> StreetComplete, a surveyor app for OpenStreetMap, specify the produce
> of orchards.[1]
> We did a lot of research on which plants are grown on orchards [2]
> and are now at the point where we need to decide how these should be
> tagged.
>
> Unfortunately, there are *three* competing keys to describe basically
> the same things (for orchards). Neither of these is deprecated, all
> are in use: trees, crop and produce.

Taginfo is your friend to find out what tags are most commonly used.

It tells you on

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/landuse=orchard#combinations

landuse=orchard + trees=*: 82k cases
landuse=orchard + crop=*: 4.9k cases
landuse=orchard + produce=*: 2.9 cases

and you can also see that genus=* and species=* are much more common
than crop=* or produce=*.

If you look at:

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/crop#values

You can see that this tag is most commonly used for farmland.

If you look down the list you can also spot 945 cases of
crop=bananas,_papapyas,_mangos

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/crop=bananas%2C_papapyas%2C_mangos

which - if you follow the link to overpass turbo - turn out to all be on
an island in Nicaragua in combination with landuse=orchard.

Safe to say that trees=* is the dominating method to tag what is grown
in an orchard.

Note the wiki is currently fairly unclear about the separation between
landuse=orchard and landuse=farmland.  On

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Alanduse%3Dorchard

it suggests landuse=plantation for fruit bushes which links to
landuse=plant_nursery which is clearly unsuited for this purpose.  This
seriously needs clarification.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/