I typically tag them as amenity=restaurant.

I also add a tag restaurant:type:NL or horeca:type:NL (I know both are
bad, undocumented tags) in which I place the "type" as indicated on
the building.
There are so many variations possible taverne, brasserie, eetcafé,
bistro, restaurant-café etc. which I think we should be able to store
in the DB.

If someone knows a better tag (restaurant:type:<language> is used
elsewhere as well, but doesn't fit non-restaurants, the French use
school:FR) please let me know. I'll be happy to have a uniform
approach for this.

m.