From: Tom Pfeifer <t.pfei...@computer.org>
 To: tagging@openstreetmap.org
 Sent: Monday, 4 September 2017, 22:56
 Subject: Re: [Tagging] farm schools?

>> On 4. Sep 2017, at 21:45, José G Moya Y. <josem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In Spanish it is farm_school.
> in italian it's "fattoria didattica" (didactic farm), in German there are
> different terms in use, e.g. Jugendfarm, Kinderbauernhof.

Hm, in Berlin we have some tagged as

landuse=farmyard + tourism=zoo + zoo=petting_zoo and some description.
This tagging style would have a focus on farm animals (vs. growing plants)

zoo=petting_zoo is currently defined as "Small zoo or garden for kids to touch
and play with animals"

tom

Some are certainly small petting zoo type places (there used to be a tiny one
at Bidmi, Oberhasli, CH used to entertain kids after skiiing lessons).
I'm not sure to what extent there are any working farms taking school visits as
there were in my childhood. The places which seem closest in Nottinghamshire
are the following:

   - White Post Farm. Originated as a petting zoo type place, but has been a
fully fledged themed attraction for small kids for at least 20 years.

      |      |    |

      |      |
OpenStreetMap | Way: ‪White Post Farm‬ (‪333264517‬)
 OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to
use under an open license.     |   |

   - Floralands Farm Park. Adjunct to a large garden centre.

      |      |    |

      |      |
OpenStreetMap | Way: ‪Floralands Farm Park‬ (‪53513306‬)
 OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to
use under an open license.     |   |

   - Ferry Farm Park. I've just added more detail to this one.
   - Manor Farm, East Leake. (I have a feeling that was the one I went to back
in 196x).

      |      |    |

      |      |
OpenStreetMap | Way: ‪Manor Farm & Woodlands‬ (‪383289850‬)
 OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to
use under an open license.     |   |

      |      |    |

      |      |
OpenStreetMap | Way: ‪Ferry Farm Country Park‬ (‪488431410‬)
 OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to
use under an open license.     |   |

   - Stonebridge City Farm. This is located within an inner-city area, and is
owned and run by the local council. It is meant to be both an education and
leisure facility. Just mapped as attraction with farmland. I think there are
other "city farms" in the UK, which could perhaps be tagged explicitly.

      |      |    |

      |      |
OpenStreetMap | Way: ‪Stonebridge City Farm‬ (‪30802891‬)
 OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to
use under an open license.     |   |

Many are tagged either tourism=attraction and attraction=farm_park or
tourism=farm_park. Most are also tagged with farmland and/or farmyard landuse.
Farm Park does seem to be the current favoured term for these, at least in this
part of England. However, note that none of these is a working farm anymore:
they are attractions with farm animals in a semi-zoo format along with various
play facilities (pedal go-karts, soft-play and adventure playgrounds). If 'farm
schools' elsewhere are an ancillary feature of working farms then I think the
farm_park tag doesn't fit. City farms and the small petting 'zoo' farm features
are different again.
Hope these additional data points are useful (and also that this email gets
formatted properly: will repost if not),
Jerry