Hi,
I came across an interesting routing problem the other day. A section of
the Richardson Highway in Alaska was relocated in 2015 by the Alaska DOT in
anticipation of erosion or flooding by the nearby Delta River. However, the
old highway is still present, is still paved, and is shorter than the new
highway that replaced it. OSM mapper Will Lenz classified the old highway
as a track to "persuade" his GPS's routing algorithm into using the new
section. See the following changeset and the conversation I had with Will
here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/47049836.

Clearly, the old highway is not a track using the Wiki's definition. I
might be tempted to tag it as highway=unclassified, or perhaps service, but
none of these solutions is ideal. Will's idea works but is not, strictly
speaking, proper.

How then should one tag such a way?

AlaskaDave

--