> I don't think I understand. A traffic sign such as this
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_tire#/media/File:CZ-C15a_
> Zimn%C3%AD_v%C3%BDbava.png
> just says "winter equipment required". It's implied that the driver is
> supposed to know (or look up) when the requirement applies.

Here's an example with Italian signs:
https://www.sicurauto.it/upload/news_/8684/img/2038-cartelli-sperimentali-pneumatici-invernali.png

It says where it applies and when and says: either winter tyres or non-skid
chain.

Here's another one without temporal qualifiers:
http://www.rmastri.it/plugins/image_gallery/images/gallery/87777194ca9513d72ed09adb11f0f3af.jpg

This is the German sign for obligatory non-skid chains:
https://www.avd.de/fileadmin/content/Bilder/Unterseiten/Recht/Content/Verkehrszeichen-268.png
According to administrative regulations, it may only be present at times
where the chains are required. It doesn't apply to motorbikes or bicycles
and it also implies a speed limit of 50kph.

In some countries there are default requirements for M+S tyres, in others
there aren't or are based on actual conditions. There's a nice summary for
Europe here (in German ;-) ):
https://www.avd.de/wissen/recht/verkehrsvorschriften-ausland/winterreifenpflicht/
This is something that likely falls under the "do not map the legal
situation without supporting real life objects" ban. Those sign-posted
prescriptions above don't (IMHO).

Cheers,
Martin