Janko wrote:
> Let me show to you, the smallest cathedral in the world:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Holy_Cross,_Nin
>
> It's not the seat of a bishop any more, but it was in the past (and
churches are often called cathedrals even after they lose the status of a
seat of a bishop).

> I wouldn't tag this building=cathedral, even building=church is a bit
much.

I agree "building=*" is better used to describe form (not function).
Looking at this building in photography or real life I will not call it
"probably a cathedral", based on style, shape, size and look.
So no building=cathedral for me neither.

Martin wrote:
> If this building is considered a cathedral I would use the tag.

In the present case, it is not considered a cathedral today.

But even if it was, as said, I won't use building=cathedral and I think it
is well explained in the wiki page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dplace_of_worship
at section "Architectural style of buildings"

Function (not form) might be better defined with an administrative-related
set of tags, such as discussed here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:boundary#
Religious_authority_boundaries
boundary=religious_administration religion=*
denomination=*
admin_level=*

> size is not everything, surely you have noticed this is from the nineth
century?

Well, the Wikipedia page reads: built as a royal chapel, not built as a
cathedral. It was not considered a cathedral then.

-- althio