> On 16/01/2018 08:43, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> probably with exceptions, e.g. this is a lighthouse from 1911 (i.e.
>> historic) with a lattice structure, generally considered a lighthouse:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adziogol_Lighthouse
>>

> I can see a house!
>
> To be clear, the OP asked what the difference is between a lighthouse and
> a beacon, not the difference between a major light and a minor light.

yes, there's a house, what I wanted to "prove" is that there are lattice
towers which are considered lighthouses, in response to "The main point
that I was trying to make is that a simple pile or lattice tower with a
light on top should not be tagged as man_made=lighthouse, but
man_made=beacon."

> The two classes of objects overlap, but are not equivalent. Only objects
> that have a maritime navigation function carry "seamark" tags. Many
> lighthouses & beacons do not.

sure, for example here's a "famous" lighthouse in Rome, far from the sea:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/249332339

Cheers,
Martin