Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Javbw

> On Feb 18, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> highway=service _area
> service _area=bicycle, hgv, horse,  etc

Warin's suggestion is probably best, that way the wheel doesn't have to be
reinvented for each type, service_area can just get another subtag value.

If we were starting from scratch, I would use highway=services and then
services=foobar to define type.

But highway=services is explicitly for motorway service areas now; I think
trying to extend that tag will just lead to confusion.

I think hgv is already covered by motorway=services. Am I wrong?

~~~~

Please reply back to tell me specific services offered for a type (beyond
food/shelter/toilets) That are at facilities which are:

Self-identified, way-adjacent, type-specific facilities offering specific and
general amenities to that type of transient traveller (kayak? Cycle? Horse?
Hiker?) That isn't a park, sports complex, convenience store, or a retail shop.

- self-identify as service_area for a specific type. There may they be a nice
convenience store along the route with a bike pump and a parking rack - but it
is just a 7/11.

- Must not be confused with a facility dedicated to that activity - an
equestrian center, a MBX off-road park, etc. Service_area is a facility for
transient visitors, just passing through.

- Must be a facility along a dedicated route (bridlepath for horses, for
example) or busy area for the specific type.  This is not a shop in a mall.

- Must offer amenities specific to the type (bicycle maintaince, watering spot
for horses). Additional non-specific amenities are usually present as well
(food, shelter, toilets), that could be used by anyone visiting there, but that
is not a defining feature. A park could have a picnic shelter, a toilet, a
cycle rack and a vending machine. It is a park.

- Must be more than a souvioir shop / [type] rental / torestaurant/ [type]
shop/ or a convenience store with parking. It may have a restaurant or such,
but the pesence of such does not define it as a service_area.

~~~~

With feedback, I can include some common types in the draft page and use some
amenities offered as defining features, and present what existing tags go with
such a facility.

Javbw.