Something similar in concept to a river could be developed. A linear way for the the routing etc (waterway), and an area to indicate the outline of the runway/taxiways (riverbank).

I always map them as closed polygons because:

 * It's more accurate
 * Runways aren't necessarily rectangular, Some have bulbous turning
   circles to come back down the runway, rather than a one way taxi
   network.
 * Even grass strips for microlights render very wide in Carto when
   zoomed out.

Please don't let whoever changed the wiki to read 'runaway = Runway of an airfield' ever compile a dictionary

DaveF.