On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 08:44:10 +0100
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> tree is about species, not about age or height

I am not so sure. Specimen of the same species of plants growing in one
location may be a tree and not a tree in a different location.

For example Pinus Mungo growing in high mountains is typically
considered as bushes and tagged
as natural=scrub as it looks like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_mugo#/media/File:Custura_Bucurei.jpg

But plants from the same species may also grow as trees, see for example
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pinus_mugo_uncinata_trees.jpg

From what I see trees are defined rather by structure or function
rather than by species (though, as it is typical "there is no
universally recognised precise definition of what a tree is, either
botanically or in common language."*)

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree#Definition