What would be the best way to handle setting unusual defaults on a regional
basis?  For example, all of the City of Tulsa and State of Oregon prohibit
U-turns at traffic lights.  How would one tag for this, and the inverse,
tagging where such a turn is allowed by a sign?

Most complicated example I can think of is one intersection I remember is
at https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4597658691 and it's immediately
adjacent companion for the other carriageway just south.  U-turns are
banned in Oregon at traffic lights, but facing Canyon Road eastbound and
westbound is a sign that says "U Turn OK, CARS ONLY".  Northbound and
southbound traffic cannot U-turn at the light.  So there would need to be
an exception for motorcars coming from the east or west to allow a U-turn
and a statewide regional default to deny U-turns at lights for all modes.