Your point about stopping in traffic is a good one, and it dovetails with
the notion that a bus station (amenity) normally includes one or more
dedicated bus lanes. Perhaps that can be added to the wiki.

Smaller places and/or transfer points are well covered by the Stop Area
concept, which the wiki page might link to.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport=stop_area

Just today I created a bus station that might be better done as a stop
area. Comments welcome.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/578003955

The dedicated bus lane had already been tagged "gare routière" (French for
bus station).