One downside of mapping the railway on a separate layer is that
intersecting streets would be neglected, such as S Main St at the next
intersection. S Main St actually crosses the rail and some part of that
intersection should probably be tagged with info about the rail crossing
(i.e. they should share a node), but this would not be caught by QA /
editors with validation because different-layer ways are allowed to
intersect without sharing a node.

There's also potential for impacts on other features like footways that
intersect or ways that actually are on a different layer that now need to
be bumped up/down to avoid intersecting the rail.

François' suggestion seems like the most descriptive option in lieu of a
lane-like standard for composite ways.