My suggestion:

cycleway=lane
lanes=4
lanes:forward=2
lanes:backward=2
motor_vehicle:lanes:forward=yes|no
motor_vehicle:lanes:backward=yes|no
bicycle:lanes:forward=yes|designated (maybe no|designated if you're not
allowed out of the bike lane on a bike)
bicycle:lanes:backward=yes|designated

Rationale for this:  Sometimes things get complicated.  For example, how
would you smash the following tag scenario into "don't include bike lanes
in the lane count" schemes?

cycleway=lane
oneway=yes
lanes=5
turn:lanes=left;through|left;through|through|through|right
bicycle:lanes=designated|yes|yes|designated|yes
motor_vehicle:lanes=no|yes|yes|no|yes

And sometimes the cycleway=* tag just can't deal with the situation at all,
like when you have curbside bike lanes and the rest of the lanes are shared.

access:lanes:backward=yes|yes|no
access:lanes:forward=yes|yes|no
bicycle:lanes:backward=designated|designated|designated
bicycle:lanes:forward=designated|designated|designated
cycleway=lane
highway=tertiary
lanes:backward=3
lanes:forward=3
lanes=6
name=South Greenwood Avenue
turn:lanes:backward=left;through|through|through
turn:lanes:forward=left;through|through|through