On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Considering that it's already been wrong for nearly 300,000 ways for years
>> now, the only thing that could
>>
> happen on this would be improve.
>>

> So, of 7 million lanes tags, 300,000 get it wrong.  Which means that
> 6,700,000 get it right.  And it has been that
> way for YEARS.  So with your proposal, we switch from 6,700,000 tags that
> are right and 300,000 that are wrong
> to 300,000 that are right and 6,700,000 that are wrong.  And you consider
> that an improvement???

I'm not sure where you're getting an inversion of the problem from.
Improving lane tagging by removing the error by omission would reduce the
number of wrong ways while increasing the number of correct ways.

> Oh, but you reject (as an arbitrary rule) any suggestion that we would
> have to fix all those broken tags at
> the same time as we redefine the meaning, so they would STAY BROKEN for
> YEARS.

There's ways to deal with this situation, but you have to first acknowledge
that there's a 300,000 way glaring error by omission with the current
situation, that *won't* be fixed, *ever*, by maintaining the status quo.

> Do you really not understand why motorists want to plan routes around the
> number of lanes suitable
> for motor vehicles rather than the total number of lanes, not all of which
> may be suitable for motor
> vehicles?

Do you not understand that some roads have more than one bicycle lane, and
many places have bicycle lanes *between* motor vehicle lanes?  Like
literally anywhere in the US that has a right turn lane and a bicycle lane
at this point.  Also, this is supposed to be a map of increasing
completeness for everyone.  Not a map of we only care what motor vehicles
need.