The case I had in mind was Carto-OSM's claim to require the highest level boundary admin_level tag to be on ways & within relations. I'm unsure I'd describe it as a bug, as they haven't written any code for it yet.

Those involved claim this is not possible within Carto-OSM:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/yXx<http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/wWg>

Read the discussion here:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3102#issuecomment-372455636

DaveF