Here's how it sort of worked in the UK.

A city has a cathedral.  Or a royal charter.  Or is a big town that feels
like calling itself a city.

A town has a weekly (or more frequent) market.  Or used to have a market.
No cathedral.

A village has one or more churches.  Or used to, before they closed due to
lack of
worshippers.  No cathedral, no market.

A hamlet doesn't even have a church, let alone a market or cathedral.

Yes, there are exceptions.  :)

--
Paul