From previous discussions on this topic I learned that there are
several groups with different ideas about the tagging (see the Dutch
forum, as well as in the archives of this mailing list, the help
website and the General-topic on the forum)

The groups I see

- people that use landuse=grass, landuse=forest/wood, natural=scrub
since it renders
- people that use landcover=... (and don't care about empty spots on the map)
- people that  use landuse=village_green since it renders
- people that map it as leisure=garden
- some Dutch people invented a new tag, something like "public:green=yes" or so
- and in this thread I learned that some will use man_made=flowerbed
or man_made="something green".

there are pro's and con's for all those approaches and I don't see the
community coming to consensus soon. It would make a nice topic for
workshop on SOTM :-)

regards