From: David Wang <eze...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, 14 June 2018 07:41
To: tagging@openstreetmap.org
Subject: [Tagging] maxweight=* specified for different axle counts

What is the best way to specify the maximum weight when a sign specifies
different weights for different axle counts?

The situation in question is here:

https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/VMM_wbgzcm1jFm_APKhQww

For those who cannot see the image, the sign says

: WEIGHT LIMIT

: 2 axle - 10 tons

: 3 axle - 16 tons

: 4 axle + - 17 tons

(“tons” in this case means “short tons”, as it is in the US)

I went through the Tagging list archives and found a thread from Dec 2015/Jan
2016, with the subject “Specifying maxweight, when different weight limits are
signed” (starting here:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-December/027931.html and
here:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2016-January/027975.html)

My problem is that placing “maxweight=10 st” and “maxweight=17 st” are both not
true to the information on the ground, plus info is lost.

One solution proposed in the above thread is to find the weight borne per axle
and then use the most restrictive weight, as in (17 st)/(4 axles)=4.25 st/axle,
tagged as “maxaxleload=4.25 st”. Unfortunately, the last is 4+ axles, meaning
that with multiple axles, the maximum load per axle goes to zero, so this does
not work.

Another solution was to use the access keys as suffixes on the maxweight key,
as in “maxweight:hgv” and “maxweight:bus”, to specify the maximum weight.
However, I find this solution clunky. It also doesn’t address the fact that
some vehicles can have different axle counts, for example an HGV can have
anywhere from two to five axles.

I feel this situation might need a new suffix at the very least
(“maxweight:axles:#=*” ?), but it’s definitely up to comment.

Thanks,

David