Agree with the notion that building is implied. In France, public transit
shelters are often included in the cadastral information, and they wind up
being tagged as  building=yes + wall=no (through the import) or as
building=roof (after verification).

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:wall=no

I can imagine a shelter that's not a building (a partial cave, for
instance), but you are asking about implied values. I would say
amenity=shelter + building=no would need to be specified.

John