> For what it’s worth, I fully agree with you. Any emergency=lifeguard[_*]
> that’s not anywhere close to water is pretty much guaranteed to be a
> tagging error.
>

> While on the topic of lifeguards, lifeguard=place on a node doesn’t really
> fit to beaches where there a lifeguard place is usually, but it can be
> anywhere in a larger section of the beach on a day by day basis, depending
> on the weather and sea conditions at that moment.

 "lifeguard=place" is currently not used at all, and I do not believe it is
a good tag. "place" is so generic, it doesn't allow for any deduction of
meaning more than "thing" or "feature", and it is used for toponyms as a
key in OSM.
On beaches I would distinguish lifeguards that operate out of a structure
like a tower, a cabin, office or a similar building, from those who only
sit in a chair below an umbrella or a temporary roof, or maybe not even.

Shall it be a feature and a property (feature would indicate the position,
as property you could add something like lifeguard=yes to a beach or
swimming pool (likely implied).

Cheers,
Martin