On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> They are a form of decontamination.

On the whole, I prefer decontamination to disinfection.  What's being
removed may not be infectious, such as seeds.
Damn, I hate it when somebody else's suggestion is better than mine. :)

However 'footwear decontamination' also takes place in other places .. for
> example some clean rooms, chemical laboratories.

For that reason I would add a sub tag say footwear=hiking to state that it
> is intended for hikers shoes/boots.

Is that really necessary?  Doesn't context make it obvious in most cases?
You're not going to have class-1 clean
room shoe decontamination in the middle of a hiking trail.  And if it's
mapped and tagged as decontamination it
doesn't really matter why it's there, it's there because you're meant to
use it whether you understand why or not.
Bigger problem: "I'm not wearing hiking boots so I don't need to
decontaminate."

There could also be sub tags for the decontamination, say pathogens, seeds,
> dirt etc. Depending on how detailed you want to be.

Optional, but not required.  I don't see any immediate need for them, but
no doubt a situation will arise where it's
necessary (it';s a big world and we've not mapped all of it in detail -
yet).

I'd certainly not use a tag that could in any way be used for shoe
> polishing ... not on. If you want to tag that use some other tag.

Belt and braces.  Make it obvious what the tag is for.  And provide the
other tag for those who would have abused it had
you not made it obvious.  Then document it in the wiki (shirt grip inside
the waist band).

--
Paul