All of those are survey goals. The result of the survey may be that the
route relation in OSM needs to be adapted to reflect the situation in the
field. That's what I meant by maintenance of the route relation in OSM.

The goal of the idea is to tag the date of the last reality check. The best
thing I have now is the date of the last edit, which most of the time
results from e.g. a mapper's action (cut or remove) on a way that's part of
the route relation.

I want to ensure that the route in the field and the route relation stay in
sync, and when they don't (which is a 100% certainty) that you can tell at
what point in time it did match.

Information older than that date (e.g. gpx-tracks) can be discarded, newer
information can be entered, and edits after the survey date are new info
which should be kept.

> On 19/07/2018 07:50, Peter Elderson wrote:
>
>> I would like some thoughts on the idea of tagging route maintenance. Long
>> hiking & cycling routes need regular maintenance. On the road, of course,
>> which is not our problem, but as a consequence they need re-surveying and
>> adapting the route relations to reality.
>>

> What do you mean by "maintenance" here?  It could mean many things:
>
> o Making sure that the route in OSM still matches the route on the ground
> (diversions etc.).
>
> o Making sure that the route on the ground is actually navigable (e.g. a
> section of a walking route near me has suffered a landslip).
>
> o Making sure that the route markers on the ground are mapped in OSM (and
> updating OSM where they have disappeared)
>
> o Making sure that the route is still contiguous in OSM (sometimes if
> someone deletes and remaps an area they'll forget to readd a way to the
> route)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy

Vr gr Peter Elderson