sent from a phone

> On 5. Aug 2018, at 20:58, SelfishSeahorse <selfishseaho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Because a sidewalk is a part of a road (like a separate carriageway),
> i think that it should also be tagged with the name of the road.

I agree that the name of the street also applies to its sidewalk and cycleways.
Adding the name doesn’t mean that you can say with certainty to which street
segment(s) the sidewalk applies, and you won’t always have one sidewalk way for
one highway=*{street}, because they both can have different reasons for
organizing (splitting, different attributes etc.). Also there can be orthogonal
streets with the same name (i.e. if you look at names, streets aren’t
necessarily linear).

Generally properties on the main highway are often a more useful representation
than dedicated ways, but if you go into details it can be better to have a
dedicated way (or you will have to split the main highway into lots of tiny
fragments just because of properties of the sidewalks changing).

Cheers,
Martin