On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 9:55 AM Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> They are not beside bridleways, they are typically part of the front
> structure of buildings of an age that means they are automatically grade II
> listed buildings. Standalone ones are also of an age that they will be
> protected. They are invariably within conservation areas.
>
> I would maintain they are historic features of interest and not a part of
> modern horse riding.

Consider also the scene at
https://orthos.dhses.ny.gov/?Extent=-8263474.452075749,5187562.211271851,-8262985.673109871,5187771.815935289&Layers=2017_cache,2016_cache,2015_cache,2014_cache,2013_cache

The most obvious man-made objects in that clearing are a cabin (home
to the fire warden back when the place was staffed - it was
decommissioned in the 1970s), a lookout tower, a picnic table, an
outhouse, and, to the northeast, a mounting platform. People with
mobility impairments who are at least able to stand and pivot can use
the platform to mount a horse from a wheelchair (which can then be
loaded aboard a pack animal). This is part of a state program for
wilderness access for persons with disabilities.

I haven't tried to map the platforms. It's been a few years since I
was up to the summit of Hunter Mountain. The tower has terrific views,
but the trails tend to be crowded (well, by the standards of trails in
a wilderness area :)) in fair weather.

These must be some species of the genus that we're discussing.