sent from a phone

On 30. Aug 2018, at 22:19, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfei...@computer.org> wrote:

>> I'd expect a pitch to be flat.  I'd expect a skateboard park to not be flat.
>
> Well that's the old issue of trying to fit a tag semantically to equal
> natural language, which is not necessary.
>
> In OSM a pitch can be a field where a particular sport is performed.

in the case of skateparks, the term field doesn’t apply either. If pitch means
any facility for any sport we wouldn’t have track or swimming_pool, the meaning
of words is not completely dispensable. I agree it makes sense to have generic
tags with broad meaning and specific detail can be added, but that doesn’t mean
we have to squeeze _everything_ into one tag, sometimes it is more appropriate
to use a different tag if things are different, or it gets the smell of tagging
for the renderer.

Similarly, not every place where several pitches are together is a sports
centre, it could also be a school or a beach_resort for example.

Cheers,
Martin