OMG the Germans have overtaken the wiki. I just noticed this change to the motorcar access definition:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key%3Aaccess&type=revision&diff=1601167&oldid=1598869

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:motorcar&diff=next&oldid=1532406

I used motorcar to mean automobile in the past, although most of the time the restrictions were more general. motorcar=no meant probably also hgv=no, but in access=no & motorcar=yes I don’t think that hgv=yes is implied.

I don't use it. Ands I don't think I've seen it .. the motor_vehicle is the one I use and see. Look at the wiki pages for these values shows motor_vehicle is ~3 times more frequent in the data base than motorcar.

When  you look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:motorcar
it has some details that make the change possibly valid ...

"In the Vienna Convention on Road Signs and_Signals <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Signs_and_Signals> the symbol that depicts a (passenger) car <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Passenger_car> -either from the front or the side- is also used to describe the wider category of vehicles, as in most countries that follow the Vienna Convention. A separate sign that prohibits use especially for passenger cars is not included in the Vienna Convention and is also absent in the legislation of most joining European countries (absent in 19 of the 20 countries listed in this overview <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_traffic_sign> )."