Hi,

"Doesn't need a semicolon, only the main activity gets amenity=*, see
examples"
is fine.

The principle should be described in general (not only for rental and
not only for one shop),
as there's currently a mess with different formats (compare car /
bicycle / motorcycle shops).

I think namespaces with : are more usual,
but technically it makes no difference.

And the question is whether the "main amenity" makes sense in this case.
Let's say I search a service which is usually already part of something
else (main key shop=* or similar)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcar_rental
--> then you'd need to search for several values, amenity=car_rental and
car_rental=*
shop=car
or
shop=rental
with
car:rental=yes
would IMHO be more stuctured.

I also don't understand what the prefix "service" in bicycle is good for
(to distinguish it from which other key "without service" ?)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dbicycle#Additional_keys

Cheers,
Thilo