It would certainly need to be above Haverstraw - the current there
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Haverstraw+%28Hudson+River%29%2C+New+York+Current
shows significant tidal reversal.  I haven't found a gaging station
farther upriver that reports tidal currents. Croton Point, where the
river broadens to form the Tappan Zee, would probably be the lower
limit. Even that seems unreasonably far upriver.

The tidal range increases as you move upstream from there. The
greatest tidal range in the entire river is at Troy. One Native
American name for the river was "Mahicantuck" which means, more or
less, "the river flows both ways."

The estuarine situation will always be hard to deal with, and I think
we'll simply need to have rough guidelines and then trust the judgment
of the locals.