On 10/09/18 10:27, André Pirard wrote:
Hi,

According to my OSM readings, I thought that a terrace was something very special, but, according to dictionary.com <https://www.dictionary.com/browse/terrace>, a terrace is most exactly like French, mainly a) raised ground, b) flat top of a building c) an accessible area connected to a building at ground or upper level, such as for living or other purposes.. But beside that, dictionary.com defines a Terrace as a plain row of houses without a terrace at all and so does building=terrace <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace>, unlike French and Wikipedia which calls it Terraced_house <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraced_house> (adjective).

While a 'terrace' is that .. a 'terrace building' is not that.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraced_house

"a row of identical or mirror-image houses share side walls."

The modern practice is to build 'town houses' to try and achieve a similar population density.

Practically, I'm correcting hundredths of houses tagged at 3-5m+ away from their true location, with incorrect shape and without any addr:* at all. And during this I met areas tagged building=terrace that, of course, are just as imprecise: they get across the houses. If I map the houses that are inside, I get a very logical JOSM congratulation: "building inside a building".
In my mind, building=terrace is a bad tag. It should be:
building=house
house:terraced=yes
be it as a row of houses or a single one.
But I'm sure a reply will be "we" are not doing like that.  Like what, then. What should I do? building=terrace <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace> describes mapping separate houses as an *alternative*.
Erase what another mapper did, and replace that element with houses?

While waiting, I converted them to landuse=terraced (invisible).

landuse=residential is the correct tag .. for the area .. not the building!
It should be used to cover the general residential area.

You may as well have used pirade=something_to_do_later
that would at least have other mappers not try to interpret the landuse=terraced into something such as landuse=agriculture ('terraces' are also used for some farm fields!).

On the other hand, I once asked how to map a part of the street that is fitted with tables and seats near a café or restaurant.
That is a *real* terrace.

But it is not a building! So building=terrace is totally incorrect for this kind of terrace.

Are the tables and seats fixed? Or do they get moved?
If fixed .. I'd tend to go with man_made=table and man_made=seat.
However that are over 400 amenity=table in the data base, so look for yourself.

As for the area .. similar issues exist for 'square', esplanade' and 'plaza'.
Some areas are not 'pedestrian' but for sitting, not walking/promenading.