On 24/09/18 20:24, Fredrik wrote:
Ref prominence, there is https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural=hill.

There is an attempt to document what a hill is and how its separated from a (natural=)peak by separating them on prominence.

Are you trying to create a new term there, are you trying to reflect existing English language usage or existing OSM usage?

In OSM there are a bunch of "natural=hill" already, and the current usage near me https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/CcO seems to be "the highest place around, but not very high, and certainly not high enough to be worth tagging as a natural=peak".

In British English a hill is just something that's not as big as a mountain; there's no special prominence requirement.  The actual size varies depending on who you talk to (see e.g. the different sizes quoted at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain ).

Neither of those seems to match that wiki page.  There _are_ lists of mountains and hills based on prominence (see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_(geography) - I'm sure other regions have similar lists).

It'd be great to map prominence, provided that the source used was "clean" licence-wise.  I'm not sure that current usage is - it'd be nice to think that https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/CcU was all based on survey or calculation based on suitable elevation sources, but I somehow doubt that.

Best Regards,

Andy