I have updated both the proposal page and the discussion page (with
e-mailed comments) of

  Proposed features/Consulate

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Consulate

Please do continue to comment and to offer suggestions, and to pose
questions.  I am incorporating suggestions and one counterproposal into
the wiki page and look forward to reactions to them.  Many thanks to the
fellow mappers who have responded to this RFC!

    Proposal

It is proposed to establish formally the amenity
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity>=consulate
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:amenity%3Dconsulate&action=edit&redlink=1>
 tag,
which is already in use sporadically, in order to differentiate
consulates from embassies.

*Suggestions from Commenters*

  * To include an additional tag (e.g., service
    <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:service>=*) indicating
    types of consular services (citizen services, non-immigrant visas,
    immigrant visas, notarials, apostiles) offered. This tag could also
    be used for embassies offering consular services.
  * To specify in such a tag types of services, e.g.,

        service:apostiles=yes·
        service:immigrant_visas=yes·
        service:non-immigrant_visas=yes
        service:notarials=yes

     This approach could be applied to avoid multiple values for the
    same key, and are required because keys must be unique in OSM.

  * To use the tag diplomatic
    <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:diplomatic>=* to specify
    the type of consulate (consulate general, consulate, consular
    agency, honorary consul).

*Counterproposal*

Another user has counter-proposed (see the discussion page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Consulate>):

    I would opt for; depreciating amenity=embassy as they are used for
    embassies, consulates etc so you don't know what they are (unless it
    has a detailed sub tag) introducing amenity=diplomatic and use the
    sub tag diplomatic=* to detail what it is - embassy/consulate/*

*
*