On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 at 15:06, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It has the disadvantage that it doesn't make sense.  At least not to me, as a
> native speaker of
> British English (which is the normal language for defining OSM tags) and as
> somebody who
> doesn't work in sanitation.  Maybe a British sanitation engineer would use
> basin or a non-British
> speaker would use basin but I most definitely would not.
>
> Firstly, I don't think of a settling tank or clarifier as a basin.  A
> porcelain object for washing hands
> in a bathroom is a basin and a geological depression in which water collects
> is a basin, and a
> man-made depression for holding water might be a basin but a clarifier isn't.
>  I can see the
> commonalities in all of those but a clarifier just isn't a basin.  Other than
> bathroom porcelain,
> a basin requires a depression in the ground.

Sorry, my mistake, i didn't think of tanks. The wastewater plants i've
mapped so far have concrete lined depressions like those on these
images:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flug_Leer_nach_Emden_2010_11.JPG
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kläranlage_Heidelberg_Grenzhof.JPG
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:090913-EpurationOupeye_0020.jpeg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sedimentation_tank.jpg

I think it's okay to call them basins, isn't it?

> Secondly, if you're going to apply landuse to a man-mad object rather than to
> an area of ground
> that holds a collection of man-made objects then instead of building=house we
> should have
> landuse=house.  We don't do things that way.

You're right, basins aren't land uses.

What about man_made=basin and man_made=tank then? (I know that there
is man_made=storage_tank, but these tanks are for treating waste
water, not for storing them.) These tags could also be used for basins
and tanks that serve other purposes, for example slurry basins or
tanks.

Regards
Markus