I use commercial and retail landuse a lot. If you plan to do some
refactoring, please consider that a map is most informative if it has
distinct colours. if we applied landuse=residential on hotels, it
would blend in with other houses. To me, mapping non-housing areas
where some kind of commercial activities are taking place in a
different value is a bonus. However, we probably shouldn't have more
than a handful of colors inside the same city center, maybe 4 tops.

Also, has anybody got a rule of thumb when to map a multi-use area as
retail considering that it is common to see shops and cafes on the
first floor of tall buildings?